Telescope Checkout Policies
solar telescope check-out
Jefferson County Library has obtained one solar telescopes which will be available for K-12 educators to check out. The telescope has been donated to the library by the St. Louis Astronomical Society as part of its library telescope program.
The Sunspotter solar telescopes were given to several public libraries in the St. Louis area by the St. Louis Astronomical Society during the 2017 solar eclipse. The Sunspotters use a small refracting telescope and a set of mirrors to project an image of the Sun onto a white screen, which several people can see simultaneously. Features of the Sun’s surface, such as sunspots, are also viewable on clear days using a Sunspotter.
The solar telescope can be checked out for five days; it is only being offered only to educators at this time. Educators must call the library to book the telescope: 636-296-2204. The Sunspotter solar telescope will include directions and an information package. The telescope is housed at the Arnold Branch and it must be checked out and returned there.
Night Time Telescope Check-Out
Jefferson County Library now has six telescopes that are available for checkout. Two telescopes are housed at each JCL Branch location.
Loan rules for the telescopes:
· Must be checked out on an Adult card (age 18 and up)
· Patron must also show photo ID that matches name on library card
· 7-day, non-renewable checkout period
· One telescope checkout limit per household
· Holds must be placed by library staff
· Telescopes must be picked up at the circulation desk by the person who placed the hold
· Overdue fines are $5.00 per day; maximum overdue charge of $100.00
· Replacement charge is $325.00
· Damage charges will be assessed based on the cost of repair
· Telescopes must be returned to the circulation desk at the Branch location from which it was borrowed – patron must remain at the desk until the check in procedure is completed
· Customers will receive a due date reminder via email 3 days before the telescope is due only if the customer is signed up for email reminders.
· Overdue notices will go out via email or U.S. Mail when the item is 2-3 weeks overdue.
· A bill for the full replacement amount/denial of service will go out via U.S. Mail when the item is 6-7 weeks past due. Please note that this bill does not stop overdue charges from accruing.
What you will find with the Telescope
All of the following items are included in the unit that is checked out to customers:
o Orion StarBlast™ 4.5” Astro Reflector Telescope with Base
o Celestron 8-24 mm zoom lens (attached to telescope)
o Red dot finder (attached to telescope)
o Camera bag (with the following included in it)
o National Audubon Society Pocket Guide
o Laminated instruction manual (flip guide)