Passport Application Information
NOTICE: PASSPORT ACCEPTANCE SERVICES BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
NOTICE: THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT PROCESSING DELAYS FOR RECEIVING YOUR PASSPORT. PLEASE PLAN WAY, WAY AHEAD WITH APPLYING FOR YOUR PASSPORT PRIOR TO YOUR TRAVEL PLANS. CURRENT PROCESSING TIMES CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
You are able to apply for a Passport or Passport card by appointment only at any Jefferson County Library branch. Contact your branch for more information and to make an appointment. An appointment must be made for each applicant, and all applicants must be present. The application process takes approximately 30 minutes for one passport applicant. If your appointment is for three or more applications, please book two consecutive appointments to allow for sufficient completion time. Please arrive 10 minutes before the time of your passport appointment. If you arrive after the time of your appointment, the passport agent may not have time to process your passport, and your appointment may be canceled.
Routine service can take up 18 weeks from the day an application is submitted to receive the passport. Expedited service for an additional fee can take up to 12 weeks to receive the passport. (06.17.21)
Some general guidelines for a successful submission of a passport application are:
1. An unsigned completed application in black ink.
2. Proof of U.S. citizenship such as a state certified birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a certificate of citizenship or a previous valid U.S. passport. Photocopies of these documents will not be accepted. Any other required documentation will need to be originals as well.
3. Photo identification such as a state driver's license, state ID, military ID or previous valid U.S. passport.
4. One color photo that meets the U.S. Passport Agency specifications outlined on page 2 of the Application and that has been taken within the last 6 months.
5. For the renewal of a passport that was obtained for a child under age 16, both the passport and a state certified birth certificate are required.
6. If under 16, both parents must be present. See form for details.
Do not sign the application until requested to do so by the person administering the oath.
Acceptable forms of payment:
Passport Application Fee: Check or Money Order payable to the U.S. Department of State. No cash or credit card.
Execution Fee: Cash, Check or Money Order payable to the Library.
See Chart below for a current list of fees
For more information, visit the Department of State's website.
The status of your application should be available online four weeks after applying. (04.13.21)